Is it possible to overdose on vitamin C?
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a very useful
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a very useful vitamin with antioxidant properties. Many people take vitamin C daily in order to stay healthy, and often up their dose during cold and flu season. While this vitamin can be beneficial to your health when taken in recommended doses, it is possible to overdose on Vitamin C. Although a Vitamin C overdose is not as dangerous as overdosing on some other vitamins, it is a good idea to stick to the recommended daily amount (RDA) of any vitamin or mineral.
The RDA is different for different people, and depends upon weight, age, and gender, as well as other factors. You can find your RDA by asking your doctor or looking on a reputable website. Once you have established how much Vitamin C you should be taking, try not to consume more than this amount. Although Vitamin C is water soluble and will be excreted from your body before it reaches toxic levels, an overdose of the vitamin can still cause various side effects.
An overdose of Vitamin C can affect the body in different ways. Some common side effects are increased gas, stomachaches, and diarrhea. A headache is also possible from a Vitamin C overdose, as well as fatigue and sleep disturbances. If a person overdoses on Vitamin C, he may be at increased risk for kidney stones. If you show any of these symptoms, you should consult a doctor and be prepared to list any medications or supplements that you are taking.